A new survey called “The Truth about Pets and Dating” was recently conducted by PetSmart Charities and Match.com and you might find the results interesting…
One of our favorite findings? More than half of single men and women think it’s attractive to adopt a pet from a shelter. Damn skippy!
The survey was conducted amongst 1,000 singles, with results aiming to reveal what men and women think about singles who own cats and/or dogs. “This survey has confirmed that pets play a significant role in making or breaking a relationship,” Todd Cramer, senior programs manager at PetSmart Charities, said in a news release. “The key is knowing how to successfully introduce your adopted pet into a budding relationship and to make your pet a priority in your dating life.”
Here are some of the highlights from the survey’s findings:
- 66 percent of men and women would not date someone who didn’t like pets.
- 27 percent of women find photos of pets in an online dating profile a turn-on.
- 70 percent of singles think their dates’ reaction to their pet is important.
- 35 percent of single women have been more attracted to someone because of their pet.
- 72 percent of single women say that a dog is the “hottest pet a guy could own.”
- 28 percent of single men would be turned off if a woman’s pet could fit in her handbag.
- 66 percent of dog owners would date cat people vs. 97 percent of cat owners who would date dog people.
While this info is great and all, the really fun result of the survey is what the two companies are doing with the information. If you’re single and ready to mingle with fellow pet lovers, you can attend one of the pet-friendly mixers being hosted by PetSmart Charities and Match.com! They kicked off June 1st in Dallas and will be held in several other cities, including Philadelphia, Chicago, and Vancouver. The mixers will include local food trucks and appearances by professional pet trainers. If you’re already a Match.com member, you can find out more on their website.
“Dating can be a dog-eat-dog world, so one way to get a leg-up on the competition is to adopt a dog – especially if you’re a guy,” says Whitney Casey, Match relationship expert. “And like the movie, 66 percent of single pet-owners agree that their date “Must Love Dogs” (or cats) – whatever their pet may be, they’re more likely to find a compatible match if they share the same animal attraction.”
Check out the survey’s full findings in the infographic below:
Source: Mother Nature Network